Current Model Reel:

High-Res Posters:

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sock Gremlin (September '09)

Dug up my sock gremlin today from my class' Unity game. He was initially designed for an IPhone game but our end product was compiled for PC browsers and still had the same design constraints for IPhone. There is no lighting and ambient occlusion was baked into the texture map. The arms and legs were initially supposed to curve (which is why there is more geometry) but the feature wasn't able to make it.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

An Update!

I was did a test for Studio Y for a couple days (which is below) and then I've focused on applying for more studios. Now I'm going to get back on my previous projects and a new one while doing the odd applications.

The rotation sheet is what Studio Y sent me for a test. The concept for the bear is Studio Y's. The video below it is what I created from their design in Softimage and ZBrush.

It took me roughly 11 hours of modeling and sculpting. 2 of which to create a clean base mesh so there would be no artifacts while posing. And a lot of the time was spent finding a level of detail appropriate as the bear feeling the same was emphasized.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Design in a Day Self-Challenge

Note: This post will be updated as progress is done. ANY critique is welcomed and may be incorporated at any time into the final design.

8:30-9:20 AM
Built the concepts, showed them to some friends for critique and now I'm going to clean up and paint them in Photoshop.

11:00 AM
Extremely rough Photoshop design below, to decide on color and overall flow (it will be refined later). The final design is meant to be a sculpture (well if it was made into one from the 3D model) that can be lowered into a manhole, the dolphin is reading a map upside-down. I'll also be making a sign for Phinizza Pizza, a pizzeria near the dolphins, if I have time today. I'll be starting on the 3D for the Photoshopped one now.

12:50 PM
Block Model getting close to complete, modified concept based on more dolphin reference (slenderized the dolphin's nose and brought back the dolphin under-bite).

Took a break.

All blocked in, dolphin is in a good pose but the fins aren't currently attached so there are creases. Here's a screen-shot from Softimage of current progress.

6:00 PM
Removed face pose to make texturing quicker, will re-apply it later. Added a neck fold that is in dolphins when they bend their head forward, moved brow further forward and modified various other things over all.

9:10 PM
Modelling and UV unwrap finished.

9:45 PM
Taking a break while Softimage bakes ambient occlusion maps.

11:30 PM
End day. I didn't get through the entire model but I must be at my best for the interview tomorrow. Sadly the dolphin will be unable to find it's way to the others until the map, signs and/or pupils are done. I didn't get to attempt 3Ds Max today but the demo is installed and is ready for mastering, after my interview. I plan to finish this model up Tuesday, including the concept.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Big Big News!

I have a job interview on Monday at a creative props, display and sign design studio named Studio Y in Calgary. Then on Sunday I'm going to try to create something in one day to challenge myself. I will likely have updates all day.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

News (Edited)

This is what I've been working on for a bit of the past month.

Still have plenty left to do. Any and all critiques are, like always, welcomed.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Update and Posters

Been a while since I've updated as I have been quite busy. Anyways, here are some posters I did a while ago for my reel:

Monday, November 2, 2009

This is my current demo reel (version 2). I've uploaded it to vimeo since they have much higher quality video, enjoy!

Expect new projects again, I have my new computer setup and it's ready for action.